This dairy free pasta dish is my modified take on the viral “baked feta” pasta trend. Instead of cheese, I use a garlicky cashew cream. The cashew cream combines with cherry tomatoes, basil, and lemon to make a delectable and super easy weeknight dinner.
- Cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
How to Make Creamy Cherry Tomato Pasta
- First, make your cashew cream. I soak my cashews in hot water for about fifteen minutes, then blend them with water, garlic, and nutritional yeast.
- In your 9 by 13 baking dish, place your tomatoes, cashew cream, olive oil, and seasonings.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Next, smash the tomatoes and mix up with the cashew cream. Add the basil, lemon, salt, and pepper.
- Finally, put the sauce on top of your cooked pasta. Enjoy!!
I’m sure you’ve seen the viral baked feta recipe. Personally, I was blown away when I saw this idea, particularly as a way of cooking cherry tomatoes. It works like a charm and creates such a fresh sauce. Of course, there are vegan feta substitutes on the market, but they can be expensive and inaccessible. This is why I decided to try with cashew cream, and it works amazingly well.
Substitutions and Modifications
- Cashew cream- You can use vegan feta or firm tofu.
- If you want it to be more creamy and less of the tomato flavor, you can half the tomatoes and double the cream.
- Bake it for longer if you want the tomatoes to burst even more.
- Blend the sauce in a blender if you want it to be more smooth.
- 14.5 oz pasta (I use the barilla protein plus)
For the Cashew Cream
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked
- 1-2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled)
For the Cherry Tomato Sauce
- 16 oz cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup basil (chopped)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 lemons (juiced)
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the pasta according to the package directions.
For the Cashew Cream
- Blend your soaked cashews, garlic cloves, and nutritional yeast with water, adding half a cup at a time until it has reached a thick but creamy consistency.
For the Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375
- To the center of a 9×13 baking dish, add the cashew cream.
- Add your tomatoes, olive oil, thyme, and oregano, all surrounding the cashew cream
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, depending on your preference
- After taking it out of the oven, smash your cherry tomatoes with a fork so that they burst
- Mix the cherry tomatoes with the cashew cream until it forms a creamy sauce.
- Add chopped basil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Top pasta with your sauce. Enjoy!!