These banana oat cookies are super easy, and they make the perfect on-the-go healthy breakfast or snack. As a bonus, they are extremely budget friendly, and consist of items you will likely find in your pantry! Make these ahead of time for an extra simple and stress-free breakfast that the whole family will love.
- Oats – Oats are the perfect breakfast staple. They are cheap, super healthy, and easy to cook.
- Chocolate Chips – This is my favorite fixin’ for this, but use whatever you like.
- One Very Ripe Banana – The more ripe the banana, the sweeter the cookies will turn out, and the less additional sweetener you would need.
- Peanut Butter – Nut butter is essential to this recipe. The fat helps to bind everything together!
- Syrup – I only use one tablespoon, but you can increase this based on personal preference, or you can remove it entirely. Completely up to you!
How to Make Banana Oat Cookies
- In one bowl, place the oats, chocolate chips, banana, peanut butter, and syrup. Next, use a wooden spoon or spatula to combine the ingredients until they have fully come together.
- Using your hands, form the dough into cookie shapes. The size is up to you. For me, this recipe makes six cookies, and I typically eat two-three at a time.
Modifications and Substitutions
In this recipe, you can replace the banana with about 1/4 cup of canned pumpkin. To me, this is the best substitute. However, keep in mind that if you use pumpkin, you will probably want to add more sweetener and pumpkin has much less natural sugar than a banana.
The peanut butter can be replaced with any other nut or seed butter. The cookies just need that fatty element to bind them. I recommend cookie butter for an extra indulgent treat! Chocolate hazelnut butter would also be incredible.
Oat Banana Breakfast Bites
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a mixing bowl, mash the banana with a fork or potato masher
- Add the syrup and peanut butter
- Add cinnamon and chocolate chips. Mix until well combined.
- Form into cookie shapes. This will make about 6 cookies/bites
- Place bites on a greased baking sheet
- Bake for 10-12 minutes