Banana bread is a breakfast classic. It’s delicious, easy, cheap, and the perfect way to use up pantry staples. Here, I created a more nutritious version by using blended rolled oats in place of all purpose flour. This is a healthy breakfast or snack that the whole family is sure to love.
What’s in the Banana Bread
- Overripe Bananas- You have to make sure these are very spotty or brown, as this will increase the sweetness. Trust me.
- Oat flour-This is made by simply blending up some rolled oats. I would recommend against buying the packaged kind as just making it yourself is much more cost effective.
- Baking soda
- Apple sauce-Replaces the eggs and also helps eliminate the need for oil or butter.
- Vanilla extract-Optional but adds a nice flavor.
- Maple syrup-This is the perfect healthy, natural sweetener.
- Cinnamon- Optional but gives the dish extra flavor of coziness.
- Chocolate chips-Not necessary, but very worth it in my opinion.
How to Make Healthy Oatmeal Banana Bread
- In a mixing bowl, mash your bananas. I use a potato masher, but you could also use a fork. To the banana, add the rest of your liquid ingredients.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until just combined. It is completely fine if the mixture is still a bit chunky.
- Place the bread into a 9×6 bread tin and bake at 325 for an 50 minutes to one hour, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
Modifications and Substitutions
- The apple sauce can be replaced for the same amount of pumpkin puree, flaxseed mixed with water , or vegan egg replacer.
- The maple syrup can be replaced with agave or any liquid sweetener of your choice.
- The chocolate chips can be replaced with walnuts, blueberries, or even cocoa powder. Any fix-in that you like would work just fine; feel free to experiment,
This banana bread is not only delicious, but is also super nutritious with the addition of oatmeal. It’s also extremely simple to make. Give it a try!
- 3 overripe bananas
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup plant milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 cups rolled oats, blended into a flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- cinnamon to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the bananas using a potato masher or fork.
- Add the apple sauce, plant milk, and maple syrup. Whisk together.
- To the same bowl, add the oat flour, baking soda, baking powder, chocolate chips, and cinnamon. Mix until just combined.
- Place the mixture in a grease 9 by 5 bread pan.
- Bake for about one hour, or until a toothpick placed in the bread comes out clean. Enjoy!!