This meatless Shepherd’s pie is delicious, warming, and completely vegan. This is a perfect family meal, and makes fantastic leftovers. I hope you enjoy.
What’s in vegan shepherd’s pie?
- Beef-less Ground Beef-This can easily be switched out for lentils-you may just want to season a little extra but it works just as well and is a super burger-friendly option
- Onions and garlic-I think these are essential for flavor, but you can also use powder instead of fresh.
- Mushrooms-This bulks up the meat mixture so you don’t need to use as much of the beef.
- Frozen mixed vegetables-Of course you can use fresh, but it is not necessary
- Better than Bouillon-You can use broth instead of this. I think the vegetable base from better than bouillon imparts truly amazing flavor.
- Worcestercire sauce
- Tomato paste-This adds a perfect amount of tang
- Mashed potatoes- I use this recipe. It never fails.
How to make the shepherd’s pie
- Place all the filling ingredients into a pan on medium high heat and cook for just a few minutes.
- Place your mashed potatoes
Substitutions and Modifications
- Beef- I love to use the Trader Joe’s Beefless Ground for so many recipes. It’s affordable and delicious. However, there are many substitutions you can use for a Shepherd’s Pie. Lentils are a classic. Just replace the beef with exactly the same quantity of lentils. You may want to add some extra seasonings if you are using lentils, just to amp up the flavor. Of course, you can also use tofu or any vegan beef substitute.
- Veggies- Of course, you can change the veggies that you use. They don’t need to be frozen. You can add greens like spinach or kale, or simply chop up veggies such as bell peppers, broccoli, or whatever it is that you enjoy.
- If you want your shepherd’s pie to be meatier, you can add up to twice the amount of beef substitute; just make sure to double seasonings accordingly.
- 3 cups mashed potatoes (Find the recipe here: https://thecreamycashew.com/easy-creamy-vegan-mashed-potatoes/ )
- 3 cloves garlic(minced)
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 8 oz trader joes vegan beef OR cooked brown lentils
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tbsp better than bouillon vegetable base
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp worcestercire sauce
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 3 tsp poultry seasoning or herbs de Provence
- Heat up a large saucepan or wok to medium high. Add oil or spray.
- Add your minced garlic and chopped onions. Cook until fragrant.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables, chopped mushrooms, vegan beef, and all the sauces and seasonings.
- Cook everything in the pan for about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Spray a 9 by 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Add your "beef" and veggie mixture. Spread it so that it coats the pan.
- Add your mashed potatoes on top in an even layer. If desired, add some butter to the top for extra crispiness. https://thecreamycashew.com/easy-creamy-vegan-mashed-potatoes/
- Bake for 45 minutes. Enjoy!!