If you’re looking for a healthy but hearty vegan meal, look no further. These Salisbury steaks with gravy feature none other than lentils, and they taste amazing. Best of all, they are super easy to throw together.
What’s in the “Steaks”
- Egg replacer
- Tomato paste and mustard
- Better than bouillon
How to Make the “Steaks”
- Mash the cooked lentils. I like to use lentils that are slightly overcooked because it makes the mashing process much easier and yields a smoother patty. That being said, you do not need to mash them all the way; just enough so that they come together.
- Next, once the lentils are mashed, put all of your other patty ingredients into a bowl and mix until it comes together
Mushroom Gravy Ingredients
- Low sodium veggie broth
- Soy sauce
- Italian seasonings
How to Make the Mushroom Gravy
- Chop up your mushrooms
- Mix all of your ingredients together.
- Cook the gravy until it is nice and thick!
Gravy is super simple and elevates any dish. I highly recommend trying it.
Substitutions and Modifications
- You do not have to cook this in the air fryer. You can also turn the oven on to 375 and bake for about 15 minutes, checking periodically for doneness.
- Vary the time you put it in the air fryer. I like them super crispy, but you may like them a little more “tender”
- You can use vegan sausage instead of mushroom for the gravy.
- Vary up your seasonings! Use what you enjoy.
Ways to Serve the Steaks
I typically love to eat these steaks over mashed potatoes, but there are many different ways they can be served. It’s delicious with salad, scalloped potatoes, broccoli, rice, or pasta. I hope you enjoy!
Air Fryer Vegan Salisbury steaks
For the steaks
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 egg replacer
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp better than bouillon
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp oregano
For the gravy
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6-10 mushrooms
- 1 cup low sodium veggie broth
- 2-4 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 tsp Italian seasonings
For the Steaks
- Add your cooked lentils to a bowl. You want them to be nice and soft.
- Using a potato masher and fork, mash up your lentils until they start coming together. It's ok if you can still see some in-tact lentils in there.
- Add all of your remaining steak ingredients. Mix very well.
- Form the lentils into patties. For me, this amount makes about five patties. You can also make them into meatballs if desired.
- Cook the patties in the air fryer at 400 for 10-15 minutes, depending on your desired level of crispiness.
For the Gravy
- Chop up your mushrooms and garlic.
- To a bowl, add your remaining gravy ingredients and whisk them together.
- To a nonstick pan or a pan with cooking spray, add the garlic and mushrooms. Let cook for a couple minutes
- Add the gravy mixture that's in your bowl.
- Turn up the heat to medium high
- Once the mixture starts to bubble, reduce to a low heat. Let sit and thicken while your lentil patties cook.
- Place the gravy over your steak and serve with the side dish of your choice. I like it with mashed potatoes.